Thursday, October 1, 2015

FAMILY THEORIES!

Have you wondered why there are disagreements with family members, roommates, or between our spouse that we love so much? This week in class we talked about three different theories that could explain some of the disagreements we have with the people we love. The first one is the CONFLICT THEORY. Its pretty easy to understand. When there are two more individuals there will be conflict. Simple as that. I loved some things my professor said. "Conflict is not always fighting, there are just differences. Conflicts aren't a bad thing." We all have different opinions. Thats just how it is. I know next time my husband and I are maybe not agreeing on something I need to remember its just because he has different interest, needs, and goals. I just need to try my best to understand them. Another theory is the EXCHANGE THEORY. Who has ever expected a roommate to wash dishes the next day because you just did them the day before? I know I have! And when they don't do the dishes we may feel a little upset. Exchange theory is if we do something for someone we expect them to do something for us. We have all heard the expression, "You owe me one."In the book we read for class it says, "If a relationship consistently costs us more than it rewards us, we are likely to avoid the person or break the relationship." The last theory we talked about is SYMBOLIC THEORY. A woman could be jealous of her boyfriend because she believes she is flirting with our woman. When in reality, she may be completely faithful. In symbolic theory there are misinterpretations. We all react differently in different situations. We just need to understand how are loved ones act in during these situations. We all have family members, close friends, or a spouse we may disagree with, but next time think of why you really are disagreeing. Are you not understanding their needs? Are you misinterpreting something? Do you think they aren't doing their part in the relationship? I bet if we take a step back and think of these theories there won't be as many disagreements in our relationships! 

No comments:

Post a Comment